Facilitator: Joanna Kleovoulou (Clinical Psychologist)
Your child’s self-esteem:
Healthy self-esteem is a child’s armour against the challenges of the world. Children who feel good about themselves seem to have an easier time handling conflicts, coping with life, making friends and socialising, resisting negative pressures by making healthy choices.
For children who have low self-esteem, challenges can become sources of major anxiety and frustration. Children who think poorly of themselves have a hard time finding solutions to problems. If they are plagued by self-critical thoughts, such as, ‘I am no good’ or ‘I can’t do anything right’ they become passive, withdrawn or depressed and do not reach their full potential.
Does your child display any of the following:
- May not want to try new things
- He/she may frequently speak negatively about his/herself
- May exhibit a low tolerance for frustration
- Giving up easily or waiting for somebody else to take over
- Tend to be over-critical and easily disappointed in themselves and others
- Acts shy around others
- He / She wishes to be somebody else
- He / She constantly doubts he / she can achieve anything
- Loses his / her temper easily
- He / She is pessimistic about the future
- He / She compares themselves to others and feels inadequate
Then this empowerment self-esteem workshop is for your child. Joanna Kleovoulou Clinical Psychologist facilitates group work with children from 8-13 year-old to give children an experience to share with others with similar difficulties, to learn to relate to others, develop social skills, building esteem and an opportunity for catharsis. More specific tools for group work with children include: play, exercises, activities, games, relaxation, visualization techniques and role-playing so as to encourage children to express aspects of themselves that they may be unable or resistant to reveal in their lives. With a little help every child can have a healthy self-esteem where their full potential and creativity are revealed for a happier, more fulfilling life.