THE “STORK TALK”: A Guide to speak wisely with your child about their Sexuality
Facilitator: Joanna Kleovoulou, Clinical Psychologist, Johannesburg
For many parents, raising a child is the most gratifying job—and one of the most challenging. Given the high statistics of sexual crime in South Africa, high sexually transmitted infections and HIV rates, every parent has a responsibility to keep their children safe, That said, every parent has the responsibility and privilege to instil in their children the belief that their bodies, including their sexuality, to be a beautiful, healthy expression and respected part of their existence.
Studies show that children who feel they can talk with their parents about sex and their sexuality, are less likely to engage in high-risk behaviour than children who do not feel they can talk with their parents. Children who report having good conversations with their parents about sex are more likely to delay sexual activity, have fewer partners, and use condoms and other contraceptives when they do have sex.
Would you love to:
- Give your child a healthy, positive, respectful view of human intimacy?
- Be able to talk together about THE MOST intimate subject – sexuality– without fear?
- Prevent distorted views of sexuality from the outside world?
- Address Sexual education: a simple way
In this Power Talk you will learn to:
- Explore your own beliefs and values about sex
- Take the initiative – finding teachable moments
- Know when the right time is to talk about your child’s sexuality
- Understand Sexual exploration vs. Sexual Acting out
- Talk more than just the birds and the bees
- Understanding and explaining the body’s reproductive parts
- Explaining menstruation, erection, pregnancy and child birth, sex
- Dealing with self-stimulation
- Dealing with challenging topics (miscarriage, abortion, types of relationships e.g. homosexuality, STI’S/HIV/AIDS, sexual violence, circumcision, dirty talk)
- Keep your child safe
This workshop is highly recommended for all parents of children between the ages of 3-12yrs old. To book your spot, contact one of the Clinical Psychlogists at PsychMatters Family Therapy Psychology Centre – reception on 0114503576 or email@example.com
The talk was an eye-opener to me. (I) Feel more confident to talk openly to the children I teach and even my own children. Thanks it was great!!! – teacher and mother of a pre-primary school